Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Island Christmas...

Day 1: Dec 20

Up at 4am, after arriving home that morning at 2am, I finally arrive at Launceston via Melbourne - I had to dash off the plane at Melbourne and husstle it through two fingers of the terminal, through security check- points, a task that proved possible within the allotted but doubtful 30 minutes provided by Virgin Blue booking system.
 
The hangover from the work Christmas party the previous night seemed some of the heaviest baggage I had ever carried, not to mention the guilt of keeping my responsible husband awake, as he tried to gain rest before 'jetting' off to work in the coming hours.

Food - stomach was asking for balance - nose wanted to detach itself from face - could not stomach food until arriving in Launceston at 0930. Took. So. Much. Effort. To. Smile. At. Strangers. Hello. Friendly. Tasmanians. Please. Excuse. This. 'Drunked'. Sydneysider!

The journey on the Airporter shuttle from Launceston airport into town was a crack up thanks to entertainment provided by locals - an unexpected inclusion with the $15 fare. There was some anti tourist banter - quite funny coming from tourism operators relying on the tourism dollar, but amusing nonetheless. Apparently the harder the sun shines the faster the tourists arrive and it was surely shining! The bus detoured via the Country Club and Im sure the guest headed there was relieved to get off once the destination arrived so he no longer had to face the quips of the driver about his socio-economic status which was apparently indicated by said guests choice of accommodation. Really!

'Launy' - not the most happening town - but it is home of Boags - a fine beer if you ask me! Cute shops. Friendly people and a park full of monkeys - yes monkeys.

After wondering the mall, which covers all of three metres of the town centre I jumped on a Redline Coach. Comfortable, but one would not call it classy transportation. The trick seems to be to get on early and spread yourself across two seats - despite any issues of equity or basic consideration. Nevermind. Just a couple of hours crammed up next to someone I inconvenienced.

I seemed to foster a twelve year old companion for the journey, bless his cotton socks and drawn out Tasmanian accent - he preceded to tell me that Burnie was just around the corner, um, for two hours! Bless! He had been on the bus from Hobart since 10 am - and unlike most kids of his age - he did not have gadgets and gear worth thousands of dollars to entertain him - just a polite interest to be heard. So I listened. I was informed of his parents divorce - the new family members created. They're noisy but nice. He has no preference to live with Mum or Dad - just acceptance of the situation. And, even with a bag of lollies and 'fizzy' he was happy chatting to me. No destruction to property, no disrespectful anti-adult statements - just sharing his thoughts, asking how certain things we passed were made - like cranes, silos, bridges and heavy machinery - if only I had the answers - but at least I could encourage his enquiring mind.

Arrived in North West of Tassy at 16.00! Hello family! Wonderful to see you - thank you for doing a Maccas stop! My hangover loves you for it!

A little bit more driving, past more rolling hills - olive, spring green, crisp browns - auscam displayed in a patchwork of land. Then there were the quaint cottages nestled in amongst the hills - reminders of Tasmania's colonial heritage. I had come to the part of the state that my beloved Grandparent's call home!

Hello goat. Hello lamb. Hello chooks. Hello cat. Hello dog. Hello Dunny. HELLO DUNNY! That's my grandad's pet name - he's a little hard of hearing - but I don't need conversation with him - just a hug and to know he and Granny are well and happy!

Then there's the beds - all awaiting cousins merging from all parts of Australia - some not seen in six years. Unbelievable. When I consider the length of time - the stories - the changes - emotions build and I feel teary. Holding them back though as its a time for celebration and appreciation of the now - the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment