Sunday, December 26, 2010

An Island Christmas...


John, Wonders of Wynyard
Day 5, December 24: Christmas Eve – History on High!

Today my alarm wakes me at 6am. I’m up early to exercise before heading into Wynyard for a pre-arranged interview for my radio show – Armchair Traveller on Sydney station Eastside Radio 89.7fm. (11.30am – noon on the last Wednesday of each month).

I make my way along the highway at a brisk walk – a few scares from tourists who do not give me much space on the highway. I think to myself that tomorrow I’ll use Grandma’s treadmill instead!

Back home - I shower and change, don my favourite pair of sunglasses, my mirrored aviators which people love to remark on – I care not what they think – I totally pull them off (in the fashion sense)! Cruising into town I take in the natural beauty of the area and wonder how my interview is about to go.

I arrive at the Wonders of Wynyard, town tourist information centre, by 9am. I introduce myself and explain how I was in the other day to find out about the some of the history of the area. John, secretary of the Wynyard historical society is happy to chat. We find a quiet spot and John tells me (and future Eastside listeners) that Wynyard was settled in 1840, originally a timber town, named after a Lieutenant that surveyed the area, it later became a base for fisherman hunting barracuda.

I’m grateful for John’s time and knowledge and humbled by my affect on him. It’s sweet how people are ‘chuffed’ to be asked questions – it’s really my privilege to speak and share their words and also an enormous responsibility – but it just never seises to amaze me, the kick people get from my enquiries.

After making John blush by requesting a photo, I wonder around the information centre appreciating the restored collection of Fords housed in a shed attached to it. They’re beautiful and I can imagine them rolling around the streets of Wynyard in the early 1900’s.John tells me they only get out occasionally at the request of a bride. Bless!

Next, I toddle into Burnie to experience the Pioneer Museum. I’m greeted by a bookworm beauty. She sits at the front counter and compliments me on my dress, saying how pretty it is. I imagine that if she realised just how pretty she is, she’d hold her head a little higher.

I pay a minimal entry fee of $6, hoping it contributes to the preservation of historical treasures and wonder around the dimly lit display. I believe its dim to add to the mis-en-scene.

First is a dentist. A modern day DVD on loop, reminds me I’m lucky to live in an age of technology and strong medication. Apparently the dentist, whose clients slumped into the very chair I spied, did not need a qualification, though you could pay extra for a certified operator. I think I would have if I could.
Onto the next mock up building – a colonial sitting room – cluttered but cosy, with low roof - easier to keep warm.

Around I go, through the Burnie street scene set up in a shed. I feel an affinity with the 19th century printery and photography collections – they’re beautiful displays of days where the newspaper and printing office played a prominent part in the pioneer community. Again I feel grateful! Grateful that all I need to tell stories is my laptop and iPod and digital camera.

Back to Grandmas and Mother has arrived from touring Tasmania. Big hugs! It’s been six months. Last time I saw her was in Bali for her 50th birthday. I run her into town to collect some supplies, a few last minute items then back home, retreat for some quiet reading then into town again with the two little girls for the Christmas parade.

Wynyard took the opportunity to show off all its community happenings from Girl Guides to miniature mac trucks.
Crazy bike man at the Wynyard Christmas parade
We giggle at the tall Tasmanian Police officer who is solely responsible for diverting traffic while the parade takes place – someone’s nan and pop managed to get stuck in amongst it going the wrong way – the officer shakes his head and sternly get them out of the precession.

Home for dinner, dress and into town again with the older cousins – this time I take duty as the eldest Granddaughter (on this side of my family) to be the designated driver – anyone that knows me knows I don’t actually need to drink to act drunk anyway!

We start at ‘Maginty’s’ then onto ‘The Beach’ and finish at ‘Greens’. They remind me of the rough and ready pubs I have patronised in the Kimberley – certainly not like Sydney’s Ivy.

Cousin B bust moves on the dance floor like I have never seen before. I’m so proud of him. He’s a lover of life and people are drawn to him – gorgeous girls make their way to him to say hello and guys come and pat him on the back, ‘g’day’! What a rock star! Go cousin B!

I drag the kiddies home by 2am - sober and curious about this generation, I’m rather pleased with myself and snooze well into Christmas day!

No comments:

Post a Comment